What to Do If Your Child Gets a Speeding Ticket?

What to Do If Your Child Gets a Speeding Ticket?

If your child gets a speeding ticket, it can be a tough situation. You don’t want this ticket to go on the record as it can make insurance very expensive. Secondly, your child is likely under 18 meaning that there might be some assistance needed since this is a legal issue with a minor. There are things that you can do.

The overall goal of helping your child is to try to preserve the driving record. This is very important as it helps him or her keep the driver’s license longer and helps lower insurance rates in the long run which can be expensive at such a young age.

If you want to not have this appear on the record, you will need to take this ticket to court. In many places you might have to be there with your child during this process. If you simply pay the fine, you are going to get that ticket stuck on the record.

If the ticket realistically was questionable, it’s acceptable to defend in court. Some things that happen are signs that are knocked down or blocked making it hard to know what the speed limit was for that area.

If you are found guilty of the ticket, you do have two options that you can get for your child. The best thing is to ask for some sort of driving school. Many times first time offenders can get this simple class which will remove the ticket from the record. If this doesn’t work, you can ask for a reduced fee or reduced ticket since it was the first time.

If the child has done something foolish like excessive speeding going extremely fast, you will need a lawyer if it’s potentially criminal. Don’t try to do this on your own as your child could be in some serious trouble.